What is Social Media Marketing?
Social media marketing is a method for promoting your business and connecting with customers on their terms through social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and the Google + network. Each platform’s functionality may affect your social media marketing strategy differently but each will require long-term dedication.
Facebook is still the top social media platform with more than 750 million active users (30% of users are in the U.S.) – 50% of those users log on every day. The average user has 130 friends with 80 connections to community pages, groups and events and creates 90 pieces of content each month. There are more than 30 billion pieces of content shared monthly.
What this means for you: each average user that shares your content or connects to your page shares it with 130 people. Of each of those average users that share your content or connect to your page, shares it with 130 people. There are phenomenal success stories for businesses that connect with Facebook. However, such a campaign requires long-term dedication – perhaps an hour a day, five days a week, in the afternoon and early evening hours.
For example, when you connect your website to Facebook through social plugins, it makes it easy for a Facebook user to like a piece of content on your site when they come across it and find it helpful, inspiring or informative.
- Don’t rely on users alone to share your content. Create a Facebook page, invite friends to like your page, provide additional interactive tools as incentive for liking your page and provide regular shares, content and other interaction at peak traffic hours to ensure your Facebook friends see your posts in their news feeds.
- You don’t always have to write an article a day. Find other valuable content that you can share through your business page, which still encourages interaction.
- Your Facebook page is your business’s social front and serves as another customer service medium.
- You can authorize other people specific access to your business Facebook page to assist with maintaining customer contacts as well as providing content updates or posts on the marketing and interaction tasks.
- It is very important in today’s world of instant gratification to respond as immediately and often as possible. This is another part of the long-term investment, but with practice, checking and responding can become a part of your regular business activity, such as checking email.
- In order to create a Facebook business page, you need to have an individual Facebook account.
Your Facebook business page and marketing strategy can increase traffic and sales, build relationships and customer loyalty and amplify your marketing messages. It can be used to create an ecosystem of complementary businesses, services and information. Now that you have an introduction to social media marketing, read more about building and measuring a marketing campaign.